Monday, May 20, 2013

Epilepsy Warning?

My first introduction to Ryoji Ikeda was a couple days ago when I found his track, 'data.matrix' from his album Dataplex while hunting down minimalist/ambient/noise music. After a little bit of research I learned that Ikeda is not just a musician, but a visual artist as well. Ryoji, a resident of Paris, France, "elaborately orchestrates sound, visuals, materials, physical phenomena and mathematical notions into immersive live performances and installations." After watching a number of youtube videos, I'm very interested in seeing one of these performances live. Really hope I get a chance to! If you dig his music, he has a number of albums, tracing back to 1995. So far I've enjoyed 2005's Dataplex, 2008's Test Pattern, and +/- (1997) the best. 

Here, Ikeda performs 'data.matrix' with visuals at Sónar (International Festival of Advanced Music and Multimedia Art) in Barcelona.

Ryoji Ikeda (Facebook - Official)

No comments:

Post a Comment